The website for Zachary Townsend.
I am interested in technology, statistics, civic innovation, finance and financial technology, cities, positive disruption, running, and books.
I sometimes write not on my blog:
Financial technology matures as government steps in
TechCrunch, June 19, 2016.
Tech industry, regulators' relationship needs a reboot
San Jose Mercury News, March 7, 2016.
California should take its business to community banks
San Francisco Chronicle, Sunday Insight section, February 14, 2016.
(No paywall here on my blog).
Why I'm Mentoring for America
Code for America's Blogging for America, November 1, 2013.
Ultimately, banks are ‘big data’ and technology companies (letter to the editor)
Financial Times, October 4, 2013 .
Introducing the idea of an open-source suite for municipal governments
Harvard Ash Center, December 05, 2012.
Fairness in Civic Technology and City Services
Living Cities Blog, December 03, 2012.
Dreaming Bigger in the Civic Technology Movement
Living Cities Blog, August 06, 2012.
The Other Open Source for the Civic Sector
Google's Policy by the Numbers Blog, May 29, 2012.
A Job Vital to the State's Poor Goes Unfilled
Albany Times-Union, November 12, 2011.
Townsend, Z., Buckley, S. P, Harada, M., Scott, M. A. "The Choice Between Fixed and Random Effects", in The SAGE Handbook of Multilevel Modeling, Scott, M.A., Simonoff, J. and Marx, B.D. (eds.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
I sometimes write on my blog
- Let's Get Organized and Fix Housing Affordability in San Francisco, April 11, 2016.
- Building a Fair and Functioning San Francisco Together, April 5, 2016.
- Broken Promises: The Housing Market in San Francisco (And Ten Ideas to Fix It), March 30, 2016.
- Does the California Fair Pay Act Go Far Enough?, March 15, 2016.
- Analyzing Some (Miscited) Entrepreneurship Research, September 8, 2015.
- Standard Treasury Joins Silicon Valley Bank, August 6, 2015.
- What Business Is Square In Exactly?, July 29, 2015.
- Standard Treasury's Series A Pitch Deck, July 28, 2015.
- My Brief Time Fighting Human Trafficking, March 31, 2015.
- Standard Treasury as a Startup Bank, January 13, 2015.
- My Mental Health Story: Depression, Plagiarism, and Analysis, October 29, 2014.
- Losing 58.3 Lbs For Science, October 10, 2014.
- Building the Next Generation of Financial Infrastructure, August 28, 2014.
- Mental Health, Trauma, and Startup Founders, August 22, 2014.
- Founders and Mental Health, June 16, 2014.
- APIs, App Stores, and the Era of Mass Customization in Banking, April 21, 2014.
- Startup Banking’s Looming Leviathan, April 16, 2014.
- Going Through Y Combinator (S13): Nine Lessons Learned, Mar 4, 2014.
(Translated in to Japanese)
- Five Lessons from Building A Great Core Team at Standard Treasury, Feb 25, 2014.
- Building A Founding Team at Standard Treasury, Feb 24, 2014.
- The Path Not Taken by Simple (Bank) to Remake Finance, Feb 20, 2014.
(Republished at Bank Innovation)
- Giving Credit Card Processing Away, Nov 18, 2013.
- A (Successful) YC S13 Application, Oct 18, 2013.
- Advice on the YC Application, Oct 17, 2013.
- Getting in to YC, Oct 15, 2013.
- Why I Invest in Online-to-Offline Businesses, Oct 8, 2013.
- Ultimately, Banks are ‘Big Data’ and Technology Companies, Oct 4, 2013.
(Republished from the Financial Times)
- Credit Card Processing as a Commodity Business, Sep 27, 2013.
- Credit Card Processing is a Hard Business, Sep 26, 2013.
Take the first letter of my first name and prepend it to my last name. That's my gmail address.