The website for Zachary Townsend.
I am interested in technology, statistics, civic innovation, finance and financial technology, cities, positive disruption, and books.
I am a co-founder of an early stage financial technology company called Standard Treasury
I am on the board of Bayes Impact
I am a co-founder and general partner of Deciens Capital
, where my partner and I invest in early stage technology companies with strong online-to-offline components
. Currently, we are invested in Fuze Network
, Keychain Logistics
, True Link Financial
, Simple Legal
, 7 Cups of Tea
, Work Hands
, and Clara Labs
I sometimes write on my blog
- My Brief Time Fighting Human Trafficking, March 31, 2015.
- Standard Treasury as a Startup Bank, January 13, 2015.
- My Mental Health Story: Depression, Plagiarism, and Analysis, October 29, 2014.
- Losing 58.3 Lbs For Science, October 10, 2014.
- Building the Next Generation of Financial Infrastructure, August 28, 2014.
- Mental Health, Trauma, and Startup Founders, August 22, 2014.
- Founders and Mental Health, June 16, 2014.
- APIs, App Stores, and the Era of Mass Customization in Banking, April 21, 2014.
- Startup Banking’s Looming Leviathan, April 16, 2014.
- Going Through Y Combinator (S13): Nine Lessons Learned, Mar 4, 2014.
(Translated in to Japanese)
- Five Lessons from Building A Great Core Team at Standard Treasury, Feb 25, 2014.
- Building A Founding Team at Standard Treasury, Feb 24, 2014.
- The Path Not Taken by Simple (Bank) to Remake Finance, Feb 20, 2014.
(Republished at Bank Innovation)
- Giving Credit Card Processing Away, Nov 18, 2013.
- A (Successful) YC S13 Application, Oct 18, 2013.
- Advice on the YC Application, Oct 17, 2013.
- Getting in to YC, Oct 15, 2013.
- Why I Invest in Online-to-Offline Businesses, Oct 8, 2013.
- Ultimately, Banks are ‘Big Data’ and Technology Companies, Oct 4, 2013.
(Republished from the Financial Times)
- Credit Card Processing as a Commodity Business, Sep 27, 2013.
- Credit Card Processing is a Hard Business, Sep 26, 2013.
I sometimes write not on my blog:
Why I'm Mentoring for America
Code for America's Blogging for America, November 1, 2013.
Introducing the idea of an open-source suite for municipal governments
Harvard Ash Center, December 05, 2012.
Fairness in Civic Technology and City Services
Living Cities Blog, December 03, 2012.
Dreaming Bigger in the Civic Technology Movement
Living Cities Blog, August 06, 2012.
The Other Open Source for the Civic Sector
Google's Policy by the Numbers Blog, May 29, 2012.
A Job Vital to the State's Poor Goes Unfilled
Albany Times-Union, November 12, 2011.
Townsend, Z., Buckley, S. P, Harada, M., Scott, M. A. "The Choice Between Fixed and Random Effects", in The SAGE Handbook of Multilevel Modeling, Scott, M.A., Simonoff, J. and Marx, B.D. (eds.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
Take the first letter of my first name and prepend it to my last name. That's my gmail address.